“The spark was born” for a museum in 1993 when the Namao Museum Society was formed by interested community people in Namao and the surrounding area.
The 1925 Kennedy home was moved from the Kennedy homestead to land next to the community hall and placed on a full basement. With the help of many hardworking volunteers, local trades people, assistance from offenders in the correctional service, and hundreds and hundreds of hours of repairs, the Namao Museum was born.
The official opening of the Namao Agricultural Barn, built to house the agricultural, coal mining, school and local store artifacts was held in 2005.
We are very blessed to have been given, by the families of Namao and the surrounding area, the responsibility of caring for and protecting the hundreds of antiques and artifacts that have been donated to the museum.
We are able, through these antiques and artifacts, to get a glimpse into the life of these pioneers who were not only strong of mind and body, but stronger of heart and soul, of great purpose and of great courage.